As two of the most highly sought after steel grades on the market,many questions come up between the differences in 1018 and A36 steel.How different is A36 from 1018?Are they equivalent material grades?Let's take a look at the differences between them.
1018 can come in cold drawn or hot rolled forms,but it is frequently purchased as a cold drawn product.We'll assume 1018 is in its cold drawn state in this comparison.It typically comes in bar form in various sizes and shapes.1018 steel is a mild low carbon steel with good ductility,toughness and strength qualities.1018 steel can be easily welded using most welding processes.Capital Steel & Wire for example makes 1018 cold drawn bar in square,hexagon,round and flat bar shapes and can cut it in any specified length.
ASTM A36 steelis one of the most widely manufactured grades of steel,as it has many different applications across many industries.Like 1018,it can be hot rolled or cold drawn, but is typically hot rolled.So again,in this comparison,we'll assume A36 is hot rolled.It comes in many different bar shapes including squares,rounds, rectangles,and is also often manufactured into channels,angles,I-Beams and H-Beams.It is also commonly manufactured as a steel plate product.
Chemically, A36 and 1018 are very similar.
|Phosphorus, P (max)||0.04%||0.04%|
|Sulfur, S (max)||0.05%||0.05%|
Whether steel is hot rolled or cold drawn has a significant impact on the mechanical properties as noted in the table below.
|Tensile Strength||58,000 psi||63,000 psi|
|Yield Strength||36,300 psi||53,700 psi|
|Elongation (50 mm)||20%||15%|
1018 steel is used over A36 for applications that require machining,because it responds to machining fairly well.1018 is most commonly used in high volume screw machine parts including shafts,spindels,pins and rods.A36 is often used as a mass steel product for the industrial and construction industries for making buildings,bridges,railroads,oil rigs and more.A36 is easy to weld with any standard welding methods,and with lower yield strengths than 1018,it is easier to bend.
Because cold drawing steel is more labor intensive and time intensive,the price of hot rolled products is significantly less than cold drawn.For products that do not require higher quality finishes and high strength and machinability characteristics,A36 makes a lot more sense than 1018 simply for the reduced cost alone.
As you can see,the mechanical and chemical properties of 1018, the machinability and the surface finish of 1018 steel are all superior to A36.However,the big advantage of A36 is the overall cost.When deciding between the two steels,take into consideration the end application and the quantity that you will need.
If you need any info or price details on steel plate of Q235A,Q235B or equivalent steel standard ASTM A36 and SS400, don't hesitate to send a message now!
- Carbon Steel Plate
- Q800E carbon steel plate size
- China Q420E mild steel plate price
- China GB T3274 Q460E mild steel plate supplier
- ASME SA656 Grade 80 hot rolled mild steel sheet
- China SA514 Gr P mild steel sheet exporter
- China Q345E mild steel plate supplier
- ASTM A633 mild steel sheet data sheet
- China EN10025 2 S355JR mild steel sheet manufacture
- EN10025 4 S460ML carbon steel sheet Specs
- China DIN 17102 EStE500 mild steel sheet price
- EN10025 6 S460QL1 cheap mild steel sheet
- Offer GB T3274 Q235D carbon steel plate
- DIN EStE380 mild steel plate Specs
- EN S460ML mild steel sheet size
- China GB T3274 Q390D mild steel sheet
- China S275JR mild steel plate exporter
- ASTM A36 A36M hot rolled carbon steel plate
- China GB T3274 Q460E carbon steel sheet price
- Offer ASTM A572 Grade 50 mild steel sheet price
- China SM490YB mild steel plate factory
- EN S620QL carbon steel sheet application
- Offer StE315 mild steel sheet stock
- EN S420J0 mild steel sheet sale
- ASME SA283 Grade D hot rolled carbon steel sheet
- ASTM A633 Gr A carbon steel sheet mill